Thursday, March 4, 2010

Tired.

After yesterday's entry, I didn't do much more than study. I was disheartened to see in class that I still have much more learning to do before Saturday's test - and only got an 89% on the pre-test assignment (it had been a take home assignment). So I plan to spend much of today and tomorrow reading and watching class powerpoints.

I also felt like an idiot struggling with a fax machine at Staples trying to fax a copy of my Infection Control Officer certificate to the woman administering my exam and my signed contract to the company who I was the "on-site medical professional" for last week. I'm in my 20's, and I do remember the widespread use of fax. My grandparents were farmers, and they use to fax their various clients frequently. But I felt it was fairly outdated technology, and I had to have much assistance.

After class, I went straight to cover an overnight shift for a friend. I got to our station around 10:30 (class let out early!) and went almost immediately to sleep. I was awoken later for an "Injury", and dispatch advised us to stage until PD could get a more accurate picture of the situation. Turned out to be an intoxicated injury from a standing position with some head and neck pain. The man had a laceration on his head he complained about, but it was clearly an old wound and completely clotted off. We backboarded and took to the hospital. Glucose of 98, and he kept asking me if he was a diabetic. He then asked for my phone number and, when I refused, he asked for my driver's phone number. Oy.

One more call around 3am for a public service. Sweet older woman fell trying to get to the bathroom and her son couldn't get her up off the floor. She was very apologetic and kind. Had some bruising, but it looked to be old, and she repeatedly stated "no pain". We helped her to the bathroom, and then back to bed. I'm hoping she'll invest in a walking device to help.

It looks like I may end up back on the ambulance tonight - there's an opening, and one of the assistants is new to the squad, but an experienced paramedic awaiting release in our council. I could benefit from his presence. Also, the other assistant scheduled is a new EMT, and I feel like precepting. She seems to be a very bright University student, and I anticipate she'll do fine.

I'm fairly new to being a preceptor, but I've developed a good rhythm. I ask them to be about an hour early to shift if it's their first time precepting so I can do a thorough discussion on hospital reports and documentation - our HIPPA form, the hospital forms, and the PPCR. I then take several items off of the unit before they go to check it. I once had a preceptee notice every single item I took off the unit other than an Infant BVM. Oops! They ride up front and use the radio en route to calls. They interview the patient. I oversee and only intervene if necessary. At the hospital, I stay present during the report to the nurse. We then go to the EMS room and both write our own narratives of the call before comparing notes. I learn from this exercise too, because everyone notices something a little different after a call. We debrief the call. At the end of the shift, we have a lengthy discussion on the precept report form I have to write. I want them to know why I made the comments I did and gave the ratings I did. I want them to know how they did well and how they could improve. I have left every precepting shift feeling confident that the entire crew learned a little something, including myself. So I'm looking forward to tonight, should I end up taking this.

Right now, I just need to get some sleep.


Oh -- if I do end up precepting this new student, I think I might adopt Peter Canning's "Letter to a Preceptee". It's inspiring and encouraging.

No comments:

Post a Comment