Thursday, March 25, 2010

Edge

I'm very on edge, and I think I can expect to feel the same way until the 10th of July.

It started on the rig a couple nights ago. I ended up without a preceptee, so I got to run my own calls with two assistants. The first call was a typical nausea/vomiting/abdominal pain...easy and quick transport. The second call, around 4am, was dispatched as an "Emergency Illness", and the dispatcher told me it was for a sciatic nerve. I didn't know anything about a sciatic nerve, but my Blackberry internet service bailed me out. I still felt bad. Rescued by technology.

In case anyone's interested, sciatica results in extreme back and lower leg pain secondary to some kind of problem with the sciatic nerve - in my patient's case, a herniated disc.

Yesterday, I had to go to a hospital about 45 minutes away to get a badge made to do rotations there. I got all the way to the hospital HR office only to realize that I left my rotation paperwork at home in a binder I hadn't brought with me. Luckily, I had an extra copy in the car. However, my homework that was due in class was also in that binder - the 150 question unit homework assignment due in less than 3 hours. I rushed to a library near class to redo the homework. I didn't have the time to study that I wanted to.

So, therefore, I didn't do as well on the quiz as I wanted to. A lot of it was respiratory physiology, which I didn't expect. I thought it would be more practical information - ETT placement, Combitube, RSI, surgical airways, BLS airway management, etc. I expected questions on lung sounds and assessment findings. I didn't expect over half the quiz to be on physiology.

The only redeeming factor was nailing all my practical stations. I haven't missed a dummy intubation yet. Still, it wasn't a great day overall.

Today I have several errands to run and some important things to take care of. I also really need to study, and I don't even know where to start. I guess respiratory physiology would be a good place! Tonight, I was suppose to hop on a unit down south again. I think I will, but only because in the morning, one of my instructors will be there for his career job. He offered to let me ride with him. It would be beneficial to stick around there for a few hours and learn some things.

But then, I really MUST study for Saturday's test.

What am I going to do when the Cardiology unit hits in 1 week??

No comments:

Post a Comment