Monday, March 15, 2010

New Protocols!

It's been a long couple days studying for a quiz in class tonight on pharmacokinetics/dynamics and Alpha/Beta therapy. Amazingly, I got a 100% - how good it felt!

My council got some new protocols today, several of which I was very glad to see. The highlights -

Medication - dosages for Valium and Dopamine changed.

Clinical Procedures - decompression is now allowed at the EMT-Enhanced level (a certification probably unique to my state with only 80 hours more than an EMT-B has), as long as the provider has current PHTLS or ITLS certification. Naso/Orogastric tube protocol added. Impedance Threshold Device protocol added (yay!). Protocol for the EZ-IO added.

...and the big one, which I'm happiest about, is that an EMT-B or EMT-Enhanced can now use CPAP with the medical control permission. A Medic doesn't need permission.

Now I'm more even inclined to make CPAP my #2 wish. Even though it's in protocols, my agency doesn't have it and doesn't look to be getting it any time soon.

Stay tuned - next post will be on CPAP!

No comments:

Post a Comment