Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Busy, Busy

Been busy the last few days.

On Monday, I went to Washington, DC with a friend who had an interview. I stayed busy during her interview, including visiting the GWU Medical campus, a flight base, and spending a little time at the National Gallery. There were very few people at the museum, which was had a warm and humid temperature control. I settled into a rhythm looking at all the paintings and walking slowly around. There were many rooms I went in with no other people at all! I was hoping to see some of Rembrandt's paintings with the use of light on the operating table, like the one below. Unfortunately, there was nothing quite like that. The day was very crisp, with lots of wind, but the sun was fully out. It was a successful day followed by an evening of Alpha/Beta and fluid administration education in class. I left home around 7:30 in the morning and returned around 11:15 that night. Long day.



Yesterday I spent some time catching up with a friend before going to my squad's business meeting. I've gone through a lot of assistance positions in my squad...I try to go to a lot of the meetings and all the trainings possible. I got my certification in Infection Control Officer, but I haven't had an opportunity to use it yet. I've been an assistant in Quality Improvement, Training, and AIC Release. However, last night I was elected to my first "Officer" position - Recruitment and Retention Officer. I'm excited about this position. I think that some well-aimed recruitment attempts might really make a difference in the quality and motivation of provider we bring in. I'm a big believer in quality over quantity of EMS providers. As medications get more complex and the population gets older, I think it's important that we bring in people that are willing and ready to go the extra distance. The most important aspect of retaining personnel, is stressing the value of the provider while also encouraging additional training. Even experienced Paramedics should be expected to attend (and teach!) educational courses. We had a medic at my station teach a class on "Being an Effective Assistant" for the thirds and fourths on our units. I thought that was great - it helped him teach what he expects on his units while also teaching students and assistants how they can help. Everyone left feeling accomplished. And those feelings make people want to stay and keep contributing. I'm looking forward to brainstorming how I can create positive change using my new position.

This morning, I registered for the "Methods of Instruction" course being offered in April. I got squad funding last night to pay for my hotel for the weekend, so I'm really looking forward to this. It's step I in becoming a BLS Instructor, something I'm really hoping to get around next summer. I also want to use the training to become an OSHA-compliant Infectious Disease Control Instructor, but am waiting to take the pre-test required. I'm sure it will be pretty difficult. I need an 80% to be allowed to be an Instructor.

Tonight is just some medication infusion math review in class. Low grade stuff in preparation for a big test on Saturday, followed by a fun lab day of playing with IO's and other torture equipment. I'm also covering the second half of a friend's duty - midnight to 6am in the city. Probably (hopefully) no calls. I'll be tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment