Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Overdrive

I've been studying advanced airway management in class, so CPAP has certainly been weighing on my mind. I keep thinking about different things I want to write about it, but haven't had a real chance to sit down and think it through yet.

I've been slammed with class and the start of rotations lately. I got a 92% on the exam last weekend (couldn't believe it!), which enabled me to start my clinical rotations. We have about 300 hours to do to pass the class, and they're all divided up into different units. I spent all of Saturday in class, then 12 hours of Sunday on an ER shift, and 8 hours yesterday in the Psychiatric unit before going to 4 hours of class. Today I had "off" to study for a quiz and catch up on a little sleep. Unfortunately, I didn't end up doing much of either.

I got the pediatric IV access I needed to check off. It was on a 17 year old, but it still counts! I've administered a lot of medications in a variety of different routes. I had to give a shot (IM administration) in the behind! I felt a little bad because he didn't speak much English so I'm not sure I conveyed well how much it would hurt - Bicillin. Very thick. We had a lot of respiratory cases (I need 10 cases of adult and 4 of children), so it got repetitive but at least served a purpose. I like the routine of emergency care. Most of the time, I'm starting to be able to anticipate what treatment the patient will get.

Quiz tomorrow on advanced airway, then a test on the same on Saturday. Friday I have another 12 hour ER shift. Getting tired. I feel like I'm constantly in overdrive and can't calm down. July 10th - National Registry test day - can't get here fast enough.

On the rig tonight as AIC, but I have a preceptee. Hoping for a mostly restful night.

No comments:

Post a Comment