Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Updates

Cardiology has been going surprisingly better than I anticipated. We've had 2 quizzes (out of 4 total) in this unit, and I got an 81 on one and an 88 on the other. No complaints here. My course coordinator seemed proud. I'd like to say I'm in the home stretch, but that's not really true...I have quite a ways left to go. All of May and all of June, but the class final is June 28th. So I guess I'm closer to done than to the start.

I usually don't talk about things in fears that I'll "jinx" them, but I'm in the hire process to be a James City County firefighter/medic. It would be a great position, but it's also very competitive. It's the only medic job I've applied so thus far because they were more than happy to take my application for the position even though I haven't obtained my medic certification yet. By the time I do finish the class, the hiring process still won't be over.

I realized after I got past a hurdle last week in the hiring process that the next big thing was the CPAT - Candidate Physical Ability Test. It's a series of very difficult obstacles designed to test your ability to be a firefighter, basically. I found a trainer at my gym that specializes in training public service professionals, and I feel like I might have a chance working with him. He has me on a rigorous plan, and I'm sore. All over. My food is very strictly regulated...I need to go walk for an hour, and then I get an apple, some almonds, and one serving of organic peanut butter. Lunch is chicken salad, a big green salad, and wheat toast with coconut oil and raw honey.

Labs in class tonight - transcutanous pacing and cardioversion. As one of my instructors says, "make 'em ride the lightening!"

No comments:

Post a Comment